Recipe Type: Side Dish
from the kitchen of Neeta Frazer Cheese and nutmeg give this dish a unique, sublime flavor. For a delicious variation, try replacing the zucchini with cauliflower. Prep time: 40 minutes Cook time: 20 minutes Yield: Serving size: 8 Calories per serving: 147
- 7 tablespoons butter divided
- 3 large yellow onions cut in half and sliced
- 2 pounds zucchini (about 4 zucchini) sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup hot milk
- 3/4 cup grated gruyére cheese divided
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Melt 6 tablespoons butter in a medium saucepan and cook onions over low heat for 15 minutes, or until tender but not browned. Add zucchini and cook, covered, for 10 minutes, or until tender. Add the salt, pepper, and nutmeg and cook uncovered for 5 minutes.
- Stir in flour. Add hot milk and ½ cup Gruyère cheese; cook over low heat for a few minutes until mixture thickens and cheese is melted. Pour mixture into an 8x11x2-inch baking dish. Combine bread crumbs with remaining ¼ cup Gruyère cheese and sprinkle over zucchini mixture. Dot with 1 tablespoon butter cut into small bits. Bake for 20 minutes or until bubbly and nicely browned.
- TIP: Because of their similar flavors, Swiss cheese can be substituted for the Gruyère.
Spread the love