Recipe Type: Side Dish
Cuisine: American[img src=”https://www.letsstartcooking.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/Tomato-Bread.jpg” width=”1000″ height=”666″ class=”alignnone size-full” title=”Tomato Bread”]
From the kitchen of: Dixie Murphey This exceptional bread makes amazing toasted cheese sandwiches, thanks to the full-bodied flavor of tomatoes.
- 8 Roma tomatoes quartered
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 6 to 6 1/2 cups all prupose flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons yeast
- 3/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- In a medium saucepan, cook tomatoes in water until soft. Purée tomatoes in a blender or food processor. Let cool.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine tomato mixture, olive oil, 3 cups of flour, sugar, yeast, oregano, garlic powder, basil, and salt. Beat until smooth. Add Parmesan cheese and remaining flour to make a soft dough. Knead for 8 minutes. Place dough in a well-oiled large bowl, turning once to oil the top of the dough. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, approximately 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide dough in half. Shape into 2 loaves. Place dough into 2 well-oiled 8x4x2-inch bread pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, approximately 30 minutes. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until bread is lightly browned. Remove from pans and cool on a wire rack.
Spread the love