Sweetest Sweet Potato Casserole Recipe
By: Carole Burkhard for RecipeLion.com
Don’t rely on marshmallows to make your sweet potato casserole sweet. This easy casserole recipe will show you how to bring out the flavor of sweet potatoes without sugary toppings like marshmallows.
3 pounds sweet potatoes
1/4 cup butter, melted
1/4 cup maple syrup
1/4 cup orange marmalade
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Scrub sweet potatoes and wrap in aluminum foil.
3. Place on baking tray (to avoid spills in your oven) and bake for an hour and a half or until fork inserted into potato pierces potato easily.
4. Remove from oven and open foil packets carefully. Slice open potatoes, lengthwise, with a knife to encourage cooling.
5. Leave to cool on baking tray for 30 minutes to an hour until cool enough to handle.
6. Once cool to the touch, scoop potato flesh into a mixing bowl, discarding the skin.
7. Add melted butter, maple syrup, orange marmalade, cinnamon and nutmeg and mash by hand with potato masher until potatoes are creamy.
8. Scoop into 8 x 8-inch baking dish. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes until bubbly.
9. Remove from oven and sprinkle with chopped pecans. Serve.