SWEET PEPPADEW AND TURKEY CASSEROLE
BY: NIC FROM NIC’S NUTRITION
A good meal should be nutritious, healthy, and colorful. Sweet Peppadew and Turkey Casserole are just that. This turkey casserole recipe is made with turkey thighs, Peppadew peppers, and apricots and can be served over rice or couscous for a fuller dish. Try it today.
1 pound turkey thighs (trimmed of any visible fat)
2 ½ ounces Peppadew peppers
2 ½ ounces dried apricots
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, coriander & cumin
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 red onion
1 garlic clove
14 ounces chopped tomatoes
2 tablespoons tomato puree
10 ½ ounces vegetable stock
Fresh coriander, to garnish
Brown rice, to serve
1. Preheat oven to 356 degrees F.
2. Place the turkey in a mixing bowl and add the spices and oil. Mix.
3. Cook the turkey in a non-stick frying pan until browned all over, before transferring to an oven-proof casserole dish.
4. In the same frying pan cook the onion (finely chopped), garlic (finely chopped), chopped tomatoes, tomato puree for 5 minutes and then season to taste with salt and pepper.
5. Stir in the Peppadew peppers, apricots and the stock and bring to the boil.
6. Spoon the sauce over the turkey and mix well. Then cover and cook in the oven for an hour, removing the lid (or foil) for the last 10 minutes.
7. Roughly chop the coriander and sprinkle over the casserole to garnish.
8. Serve with brown rice (author’s choice), couscous or bulgur wheat.