Summer Vegetarian Chili
By Lets Start Cooking
Summer Vegetarian Chili that’s savory, hearty, and perfect for a quick and delicious summer weeknight dinner!
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup chopped red onion
- 5 large cloves garlic, crushed or minced
- 2 tablespoons chili powder, or more to taste
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 cups juicy chopped fresh tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can no-salt-added black beans, drained
- 1 cup water (or red wine)
- 1 cup chopped bell pepper (any color)
- 1 cup chopped zucchini 1 cup corn kernels
- 1 cup chopped white or potbelly mushrooms
- 1 cup chopped fresh cilantro, packed
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or more to taste
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Heat oil in medium pot. Add onion, garlic, chili powder and cumin. Saute over medium heat until onion is soft, about 5 minutes. Add remaining ingredients (except garnishes) and stir. Bring to a boil, then lower heat and simmer 20 minutes or until vegetables are soft. Add more liquid if needed.
Serve alone or over rice (preferably brown). Garnish if desired with any of the following: reduced-fat cheddar cheese, onion, fat-free sour cream, guacamole, fresh cilantro.