Slow Cooker Squash Soup
Recipe Type: Soup & Stew
from the kitchen of: Cherie Stapp This soup is healthy, satisfying, and unique. Pair with fresh crusty rolls and a tossed salad, and dinner is served!
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic sliced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flake
- 7 1/2 cups cold water divided
- 1 1/2 cups dry garbanzo beans rinsed
- 1 pound butternut squash peeled, seeded, adn cut into large pieces
- 1 bunch swiss chard leaves and stems separated adn roughly chopped
- 1 piece Parmesan cheese rind, plus grated Parmesan for topping
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 6 slices cooked bacon crumbled
- crusty bread for serving
- lemon wedges for serving
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook until soft and golden brown, approximately 4 to 5 minutes. Stir in the tomato paste and red pepper flakes and cook 1 minute. Stir in ½ cup of water, scraping up any browned bits. Transfer the contents of the skillet to a 6-quart slow cooker.
- Add garbanzo beans, squash, chard stems (not the leaves), Parmesan rind, salt, pepper, and 7 cups water to the slow cooker. Stir, then cover and cook on low for 8 hours.
- Just before serving, lift cooker lid and stir in the chard leaves and crumbled bacon bits; cover and continue cooking 10 more minutes. Season with more salt and pepper, if desired, and stir to break up the squash. Discard the Parmesan rind. Ladle the soup into bowls; top with the grated Parmesan cheese. Serve with bread and lemon wedges.
Spread the love