Salsa Verde Enchiladas
By Ellen Ethington Make one for tonight and one for the freezer!
Recipe type: Main Dish
- 3 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 (16-oz) jar mild salsa verde
- 6 green onions thinly sliced
- ¼ c fresh lime juice
- ½ c loosely packed fresh cilantro leaves, chopped and divided
- 1 small can sliced black olives for garnish
- 16 6 inch flour tortillas
- 8 oz sour cream
- ½ c chicken broth
- 1 c shredded Monterrey Jack cheese
- 1 c shredded mozzarella cheese
- Cook chicken in a large pot of water until pink is gone and it is easily shredded. Drain water and shred the chicken with an electric mixer. Place 5 ½ cups of chicken in a medium bowl. (Any extra can be frozen for another meal.) Stir ½ cup salsa verde into chicken to evenly coat. Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray 2 9x13-inch glass or ceramic baking dishes with cooking spray and set aside. In a 12inch skillet, heat remaining salsa, green onions, and lime juice to boiling. Boil 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in 2 tablespoons cilantro; keep warm over low heat. Using tongs, place 1 tortilla in salsa mixture; heat 10 seconds. Place tortilla on wax paper; top with about ⅓ cup chicken mixture. Roll up and place, seam side down, in prepared baking dish. Repeat process with all tortillas, filling each dish. Stir sour cream and broth into remaining salsa mixture in the skillet; spoon over filled tortillas. Combine cheeses. Cover one dish with foil; bake 15 minutes. Remove foil; sprinkle with 1 cup mixed cheese and 1 tablespoon cilantro. Bake 5 more minutes. Meanwhile, sprinkle remaining cheese and cilantro on second dish; freeze.
Spread the love