ROASTED PORK CASSEROLE
BY: JO-ANNA FROM A PRETTY LIFE IN THE SUBURBS
This Roasted Pork Casserole recipe will get you cooking pork like a pro. This casserole combines pork loin, butternut squash, and apples into one delicious dish. The mix of brown sugar, rosemary, and thyme blends nicely with the ingredients and makes it seem as if you did a ton of work to get such a rich flavor. Putting this together is really quite simple. Just sear the meat, place all of the ingredients in a casserole dish, and bake. The finished result is a beautiful dinner that you'll be proud of.
1 pork loin roast (about 2 1/2 to 3 pounds)
1 tablespoon olive oil
Salt and pepper
1/2 butternut squash, peeled and cut into chunks
2 apples, cored and cut into chunks
1 large onion, cut into chunks
1/4 cup salted butter, melted
1/2 cup lightly packed brown sugar
3 sprigs fresh rosemary, minced (about 2 tablespoons)
2 sprigs fresh thyme, minced (about 1 tablespoon)
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
2. In a skillet, heat up the tablespoon of olive oil until very hot.
3. Add the pork to the skillet (be careful as it will spit), generously season with salt and pepper, and sear all sides. You do not want to cook the pork, just sear it so the juices are sealed in.
4. Once the pork is seared, transfer it to a 9 x 13 inch baking dish, placing it in the center of the dish.
5. Around the pork, sprinkle the squash, apples, and onions.
6. Then, evenly sprinkle on the brown sugar and herbs.
7. Then, evenly sprinkle on the melted butter.
8. Cut up your apples into about 2 inch chunks.
9. Place the dish in the oven and bake. Roast until the internal temperature of the meat reaches 150 to 155 degrees. Depending on your oven, this can be about 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
10. Once the optimal internal temperature is reached, remove the roast from the oven and let it rest for about 10 minutes. The internal temperature will continue to rise about 5 degrees once outside of the oven.
11. Slice and serve with your roasted vegetables.