Roasted-Parsnip Soup with Chorizo
You can also skip making soup and just enjoy the roasted parsnips tossed with the chorizo and caper tapenade. Total Time: 1 hour 10 mins
Author: Dave M
Recipe type: Soup & Stew
- 1½ pounds parsnips (about 7), peeled and cut into 1-inch lengths
- 1 medium onion (8 ounces), cut into 1-inch chunks
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3 ounces spanish chorizo, very thinly sliced (2/3 cup)
- 2 cloves garlic, very thinly sliced (1 tablespoon), plus 1 clove, minced (1 teaspoon)
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- caper tapenade, for serving (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Toss parsnips and onion with 2 tablespoons oil. Season with salt. Spread in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet. Roast 15 minutes. Flip; roast until golden brown and tender, about 20 minutes more.
- Meanwhile, in a small skillet over medium-high, heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil. Add chorizo and cook, turning, until crisp and golden, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer to a small plate. Reduce heat to medium and add sliced garlic; cook until just golden, 30 seconds to 1 minute. Transfer to plate with chorizo; reserve oil in skillet.
- Transfer roasted vegetables to a medium saucepan; add broth, ½ cup water, and minced garlic. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook, partially covered, until vegetables are very soft, about 10 minutes. Working in batches, blend until smooth (if necessary, thin with up to ¼ cup water total). Season with salt and pepper. Just before serving, heat soup through in saucepan over medium-high. Serve, topping each bowl with a few pieces of chorizo and cooked garlic, a spoonful of caper tapenade, and a drizzle of reserved chorizo oil.
Spread the love