Potatoes Au Gratin Recipe
Recipe Type: Side Dish
- 6 russet potatoes, cleaned and peeled
- 2 tablespoons butter, plus more for pan
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cups . cream
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon freshly chopped thyme
- pinch of nutmeg
- kosher salt
- red pepper flakes
- 1 1/2 cups . shredded gruyere
- 1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan
- Preheat oven to 375°. Butter a baking dish well and set aside. Slice potatoes 1/4″ thick and place in water to keep from browning.
- Heat butter over medium heat and add garlic. Sauce until fragrant about 1 minute. Add cream, milk, thyme, nutmeg, salt, and red pepper flakes. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to low. Let simmer 10 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Layer 1/3rd of potatoes, slightly overlapping, in prepared dish then pour 1/3 of cream mixture over potatoes. Repeat with remaining potatoes and cream to make two more layers. Sprinkle gruyere over top.
- Cover with foil and bake for 45 minutes. Uncover, sprinkle with parmesan and continue baking until potatoes are tender and top is golden, 15 to 20 minutes.
Spread the love