Potato, Broccoli, and Cheddar Soup Recipe
Recipe Type: Soup & Stew
Broccoli is used two ways in this kid-friendly dish: it’s simmered until tender for the soup base and roasted for the garnish. Total Time: 35 mins
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oils, plus more for drizzling
- 2 large shallots, halved and thinly sliced (1/4 cup)
- 3 large cloves garlic, minced (2 tablespoons)
- 2 pounds broccoli, stems peeled and chopped, florets cut into 1-inch pieces (about 5 cups florets)
- 3 small yukon gold potatoes, peeled and chopped (1 1/2 cups) kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 packed cups grated white cheddar (from an 8-ounce block)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice, plus grated zest for serving
- 4 slices (each 1/2 inch thick) rustic Italian breads
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a medium saucepan, heat oil over medium-high. Add shallots, half of garlic, broccoli stems, potatoes, and a pinch of salt. Cook, stirring, 3 to 4 minutes. Add 5 cups water; season with salt. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer until vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes. Add 3 cups broccoli florets; cook until tender, 8 to 10 minutes more. Let cool slightly. Transfer to a blender with 1 cup cheese; puree until smooth. Season with salt, pepper, and lemon juice.
- Stir together remaining cheese and garlic. Place bread on one side of a rimmed baking sheet, and remaining broccoli florets on other. Drizzle both with oil; season with salt and pepper. Top bread with cheese mixture. Roast 15 minutes, tossing florets halfway through. Serve soup topped with toasts, florets, and zest.
Spread the love