Recipe Type: Appetizer
I have a few disclaimers about these crazy rolls, which I made yesterday on a whim since I had half a batch of cinnamon roll dough leftover from Saturday. 1. I was working with no recipe whatsoever
- 1 whole pizza crust (or you can use thawed frozen bread dough!)
- olive oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- marinara sauce
- grated Parmesan cheese
- sliced mozzarella cheese
- jarred pesto
- string cheese
- other optional ingredients: pepperoni, cooked italian sausage, olives, onion, etc.
- extra marinara sauce, for dipping
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Roll out the pizza dough onto a floured surface until it’s a large rectangle. Smear with a little olive oil and sprinkle with salt. Spread the surface with marinara sauce, then sprinkle generously with Parmesan. Lay a couple of layers of mozzarella slices all over the sauce. Smear pesto all over the cheese. Lay on any other pizza ingredients (pepperoni, etc.) that you’d like.
- Unwrap string cheese and lay it in a line at the top of the dough. Roll it toward you so that the string cheese winds up in the middle of the roll of dough. Slice into 1 inch pieces and place in a baking dish or iron skillet. Allow the rolls to rise for 20 minutes.
- Bake for 15 minutes, until the bread is golden and the fillings are bubbly. Remove and serve immediately with extra marinara sauce.
Spread the love