No Fail Glazed Doughnuts Recipe
Author: Wendell Jacobson
Recipe type: Dessert
- 1 pkg dry active yeast
- ¼ c warm water
- ¾ c lukewarm milk scalded, then cooled
- ¼ c sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 egg
- ¼ c butter softened
- 3 c sifted flour
- vegetable oil for frying
- In a mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add milk, sugar, salt, egg, butter, and half the flour. Mix until smooth. Gradually add remaining flour until the dough is easy to handle. Turn onto a lightly floured board and knead until smooth. Place dough in a large oiled bowl; then turn the dough over so that the top has a light covering of oil. Cover with a clean, damp towel. Let rise in a warm place until double; punch down and roll dough out onto a floured board to about 1 inch thick. Cut with a doughnut cutter. Let doughnuts and holes rise until light. Leave uncovered so a crust will form on the dough.
- Set the thermostat on an electric frying pan to 360°F. When the temperature has been reached, the oil will start to smoke. Drop dough into oil and fry about 1½ minutes or until golden. Turn and cook about 1 minute more. Remove and drain on paper towels.
- When cool enough to handle, dip each doughnut and hole in glaze. Note: Maple bars can be made with this recipe. Simply cut dough into rectangles and frost with maple icing.
- 3½ tbs whole milk
- ½ tsp imitation maple flavoring
- 2⅔ c powdered sugar
- 2 tbs butter softened
- Heat milk and maple flavoring in a medium saucepan over low heat until warm. Sift sugar into milk mixture. Whisk slowly until well combined. Remove icing from heat and add butter. Mix well. Set icing over a bowl of warm water to prevent crusting.
Spread the love