MAPLE SWEET POTATO CASSEROLE
BY: SUSAN FROM REAL KIDS EAT SPINACH
An easy yet tasty sweet potato side dish casserole is exactly what you get with this Maple Sweet Potato
Casserole. Unlike other sweet potato dishes, this one does not include marshmallows. Instead, it gets its sweetness from pure maple syrup. It is gluten and dairy-free, and can even be vegan. It’s a favorite in this blogger’s home and can be a favorite in yours, too.
COOKING TIME: 40 MIN
COOL TIME: 10 MIN
1/3 cup organic cornmeal**
1 ½ cups non-dairy milk (Author used So Delicious unsweetened coconut)
2 tablespoons butter or coconut oil
2 large sweet potatoes, mashed and cooked
1/3 cup pure maple syrup
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon cinnamon
¼ teaspoon pepper
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1. Place cornmeal in medium saucepan.
2. Gradually add milk, stirring with wire whisk until completely blended.
3. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to medium.
4. Cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly with whisk.
5. Remove from heat and stir in butter or coconut oil. Set aside.
6. In a large bowl combine the sweet potato through eggs, stirring until blended.
7. Gradually add the cornmeal mixture, stirring constantly.
8. Pour mixture into a 1 ½ quart greased casserole dish.
9. Bake at 350 degrees F for 40 minutes and allow to stand for 10 minutes before serving.
10 Add Chop up pecans on top as a choice for a topping
1. Experiment with a sprinkle of cinnamon on top, some chopped pecans, or maybe even a
2. **Most corn products including cornmeal contain GMOs and are degerminated, which
means the healthy core of the grain has been removed. The author used Arrowhead Mills
from Whole Foods, but Great River Organic Milling Corn Meal on Amazon is priced well.