Layered Zucchini Parmigiana
from the kitchen of: Brian Mellot; simplybudgeted.com Parmigiana is a classy and tasty way to use the abundance of home-grown zucchini many gardeners have at the end of the season. For those who are dairy intolerant, this recipe can be made substituting water for the milk and omitting the cheese.
Author: Brian Mellot
Recipe type: Main Dish
- 3 to 4 large zucchini sliced ¼ inch thick
- 3 c all purpose flour
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 eggs well beaten
- ¼ c milk
- 3 c seasoned bread crumbs
- 2 (24-oz) jar pasta sauces
- ¾ c olive oil for frying
- 2 c grated mozzarella cheese divided
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter a 9x13-inch baking dish. In a medium bowl, combine flour with desired amount of salt and pepper. In a separate bowl, mix eggs and milk together well and season to taste with salt and pepper. Bread zucchini by first coating the slices in flour, then dipping zucchini in egg mixture. Finally, dip slices in bread crumbs, coating well.
- Pour 1 jar pasta sauce into baking dish; set aside. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium to medium-high heat. Add a single layer of breaded zucchini slices to oil and fry until lightly browned, 2 to 3 minutes on each side. Remove zucchini to paper towels for draining. Repeat process until all zucchini slices are fried.
- Place a layer of fried zucchini in the baking dish over pasta sauce. Sprinkle with 1 cup of mozzarella cheese, then add remaining zucchini. Pour second jar of pasta sauce over zuc-chini and finish with remaining 1 cup of mozzarella cheese. Bake for 20 minutes or until cheese is melted. Let rest for 10 minutes before serving.
Spread the love