Italy, Sandwiched: Mozzarella, Pesto, and Mortadella Grilled Cheese
Recipe Type: Sandwich Recipes
Each of these crisp, thin sandwiches is filled with melted mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced marinated artichoke hearts, pesto, and mortadella. A little anchovy punches up the savory flavor of each bite.
- 6 tbs (90ml) extra-virgin olive oils, divided, plus more as needed
- 8 slice white country bread, about 1/4 inch thick each
- 5 small oil-packed anchovy fillets, minced (about 1/2 tablespoon)
- 3/4 lb (340g) fresh mozzarella, thinly sliced
- 4 tsp (20ml) homemade or store-bought pesto sauces
- 4 oz drained marinated artichoke hearts (140g; about 2 whole hearts), very thinly sliced
- 4 very thin slices mortadella (about 2 ounces)
- In a large skillet, heat 3 tablespoons oil over medium heat until it flows easily and coats the bottom of the pan. Working in batches if necessary, add bread and cook, swirling and moving the bread around for even toasting, until browned, about 3 minutes. Flip bread slices, add remaining oil and continue to cook until browned on both sides, about 3 minutes longer. If working in batches, or if the pan dries out too much, add more oil as needed. Transfer toasted bread slices to a work surface. Wipe out skillet.
- Spread minced anchovy evenly on half the toasts, then top with mozzarella, pesto, artichokes, and mortadella. Close sandwiches.
- Transfer sandwiches to skillet and cook in a preheated 350°F oven until cheese is melted about 5 minutes. Alternatively, transfer sandwiches to a toaster oven and bake at 350°F until cheese is melted. Serve right away.
Spread the love