Iced Sweet Orange Cookies Recipe
from the kitchen of: Alice & Jeanne This is the same basic sugar dough recipe as used in the lemon cookies, but orange emulsion is substituted for the lemon emulsion, and orange zest is substituted for lemon zest.
Author: Alice & Jeanne
Recipe type: Dessert
- 1½ c butter softened
- 2¼ c sugar
- 4 eggs well beaten
- 2 tsp orange zest
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp orange flavored emulsion
- 5¼ c all purpose flour sifted
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- ¾ tsp salt
- ORANGE ICING
- ¾ c confectioners' sugar
- ⅓ c milk or cream
- ⅛ tsp orange flavored emulsion
- 1 tbs orange zest
- pinch salt
- Cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Stir in well-beaten eggs and beat until thick. Add orange zest, vanilla, and orange flavored emulsion. Sift flour, baking powder, and salt together. Add dry ingredients, one cup at a time, to the butter and egg mixture. Divide into 3 or 4 parts, wrap in plastic wrap, and chill thoroughly (several hours or overnight).
- Next day, preheat oven to 375°F. Roll out dough to ¼ inch on a floured surface and use a round cookie cutter to cut circles. If baking in a warm climate, keep each piece of dough in the refrigerator until you are ready to work with it. Place cut cookies on cookie sheet with a ½-inch margin between cookies to allow for any spreading. (You can prevent cookie spread by chilling the entire baking sheet before baking.)
- Bake until just barely brown around the edges, approximately 8 to 12 minutes, depending on your oven and baking sheet. Check periodically to prevent over-baking. These are delicious topped with orange icing!
- ORANGE ICING
- In a medium bowl, mix ingredients well. Ice cookies while they are still warm. Place on rack to continue cooling.
Spread the love