Hot Cross Bun Bread and Butter Pudding Recipe
Recipe Type: Dessert
Like bread and butter putting? Try this delicious Easter twist using hot cross buns. Recipe by Woolworths.
- 6 traditional hot cross bun
- 60 g unsalted butter
- 6 eggs yolks
- 1/4 c caster sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 c milk
- 300 ml cream
- 1/2 c icing sugar sifted *to serve
- STEP 1 Slice each bun into 3 pieces and spread each with the butter. Lay into an 8 cup ovenproof dish, overlapping the slices.
- STEP 2 Whisk egg yolks, sugar and vanilla together until pale. whisk in milk and cream. Pour over buns and set aside for 15 mins to absorb. Preheat oven to 18 0 C.
- STEP 3 Place dish into a roasting pan and pour in enough boiling water to come half way up side of dish. Transfer to oven and bake for 35 minutes or until set and golden. Dust with a little sifted icing sugar and serve.
- Stale hot cross buns are better than fresh for this recipe. Try these yummy variations: Indulgent Sticky Date and Caramel – substitute brown sugar in place of caster sugar and add a good pinch of nutmeg. Indulgent Triple Chocolate – mix 1 tbs malt powder with a little of the milk to form a smooth paste, then whisk in remaining milk and cream. Fruitless – you can choose to add your preferred dried fruit like chopped apricots or fig or if you don’t like dried fruit at all, add some fresh fruit like sliced pear or berries. Mini milk chocolate – tuck 1/3 cup chopped walnuts or almonds in amongst the bun slices. Mini traditional – spread cut buns with butter and a little strawberry jam.
Spread the love