Homemade Chocolate Hazelnut Spread Recipe
Recipe Type: Dessert
from the kitchen of: Amy Duncan Any chocolate lover would be overjoyed to receive this heavenly spread as a yummy, unique gift no matter what time of the year it is.
- 1 cup hazelnut
- 2 (6.8 ounce) milk chocolate candy bars
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 tablespoons confectioners’ sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spread the hazelnuts in a single layer on a baking sheet and toast them in the oven for about 12 minutes, until they’ve browned a little and the skins are slightly blistered. Wrap them in a kitchen towel and rub vigorously to remove as much loose skin as possible. (It is normal for some skin to cling to the nuts when you’re done.) Let cool completely.
- Melt the chocolate in a saucepan over gently simmering water or in the microwave. Stir until smooth. Cool.
- In a food processor, grind the hazelnuts until they form a paste. Add the oil, sugar, cocoa powder, vanilla, and salt and continue processing until the mixture is as smooth as possible – or as smooth as you like. Add the melted chocolate, blend well, and then strain the mixture to remove any chunks of hazelnut that remain. The resulting spread will be a little thin and perhaps warm, but it will thicken as it cools to room temperature.
- Using a spatula, scrape the mixture into a gift container and let cool completely. (And try not to snitch too much as it cools – remember that this is a gift, after all!)
Spread the love