By Lets Start Cooking
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 pound ham steak, cubed
- 1/2 medium head cabbage, chopped
- 1 cup water
- 2 large potatoes, sliced thick
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/2 teaspoon caraway seed
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika Salt and black pepper to taste
- 3 cups firmly packed greens, such as spinach, chard or beet tops
Warm olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Stir in onions and cook until tender, about 3 minutes. Stir in the garlic and ham; cook for another 2 minutes. Stir in the chopped cabbage and water. Cover, and simmer 10 minutes.
Stir in potatoes, carrots, celery seed, caraway seed, paprika, salt, and pepper. Cover, and simmer 10 to 12 minutes.
Reduce the heat to medium low, stir in the greens, adjust seasonings, and cook for 10 minutes. Serve with bread.