Ham and Asparagus Panini Recipe
Recipe Type: Sandwich Recipe
By Donna Jacobson The panini may have originated in Italy, but its popularity has spread around the world. In the USA, UK, and Canada, this pressed and toasted sandwich (“toastie” to many) is usually made on a panini press to give it those trademark grooves. If you don’t own a press, don’t despair – you can still enjoy your own version of this sandwich by simply toasting it in a frying pan.
- 6 stalk asparagus spears washed well and trimmed
- 2 tbs mayonnaise
- 2 tsp Dijon-style mustard
- olive oil
- 4 slice panini bread (ciabatta or focaccia also work well)
- 4 slice Muenster cheese
- 8 oz sliced deli ham (the Black Forest, honey, or smoked work well)
- Steam asparagus for about 2 minutes. Cool. Mix mayonnaise and mustard; set aside. Drizzle olive oil on asparagus and season with salt and pepper. Place asparagus on a panini press for 1–2 minutes. Remove. Place 1 slice of bread on the panini press; top with 1 slice cheese, 4 ounces of ham, 3 stalks asparagus, and another slice of cheese. Spread mayonnaise-mustard mixture on another piece of bread and place on sandwich. Press or grill sandwich until bread is golden brown and cheese is melted.
Spread the love