GREEN BEAN CASSEROLE WITH MUSHROOMS
BY: KAIT FROM I CAN COOK THAT
For a lightened up version of a holiday favorite, try this recipe for Green Bean Casserole with Mushrooms. One of the things that make it healthier is that it's a green bean casserole recipe without canned soup. You make your own sauce
with chicken broth. The best part of this recipe is the layer of crispy fried onions on top. Fry them yourself to make this dish the absolute best it can be.
COOKING TIME: 17 MIN
1 medium-sized yellow onion, thinly sliced
1 cup flour
1 teaspoon paprika
Salt and pepper to taste
½ cup milk
1 ½ pounds green beans, trimmed and halved crosswise
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 cups chopped sweet onion
2 teaspoons dried oregano
4 ounces shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and sliced
1 (8-ounce) package pre-sliced baby Bella mushrooms
1/3 cup dry sherry
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 cup fat-free, lower-sodium chicken broth
½ cup (2 ounces) grated fresh Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
1. Begin by making your fried onions (Feel free to buy the canned fried onions if you prefer).
2. Add the canola oil to a pan over medium-high heat. Add enough so that there is about 1 inch
of oil. Thinly slice your onion so that you have thin onion rings.
3. Combine the flour, paprika, salt and pepper in a medium bowl.
4. Add the milk to another medium bowl.
5. Separate the onion rings from each other and one by one, dip into the milk and then into the
6. Shake off excess flour and place on a plate. Repeat with remaining onions.
7. When the oil reaches 375 degrees, add a few onion rings at a time. Cook for 1-2 minutes or
until they begin to crisp and brown.
8. Remove from the oil and dry on a paper towel. Repeat with remaining onions.
1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Preheat your oven to 425 degrees.
2. Add the trimmed green beans to the pot of water and cook for 4 minutes.
3. Drain and rinse with cold water to keep from cooking further. Set aside.
4. Add 2 tablespoons olive oil to a sauté pan over medium-high heat.
5. Add the chopped onions (not the fried onions) and cook for 4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
6. Add the mushrooms and cook for 10 minutes, or until the liquid released from the
mushrooms has almost fully evaporated.
7. Stir in sherry, salt, and pepper and cook for another 2 minutes, stirring.
8. Add the flour, stirring constantly. It will thicken up quite a bit. (This will give a bit of
creaminess to the dish, without cream).
9. Add the chicken broth, bring to a boil, and cook for one more minute.
10. Add the green beans and mushrooms to a 2-quart glass or ceramic baking dish, mixing to
11. Combine the fried onions and grated Parmesan in a small bowl.
12. Top the green bean mixture with the fried onion mixture.
13. Cook at 425 degrees for 17 minutes or until the top is lightly browned.
1. If really pressed for time, you could cook up the mushroom mixture and green bean mixture
ahead of time and then assemble right before it goes in the oven.