Greek Lentil Salad Recipe
Recipe Type: Salad Recipe
from the kitchen of Ingrid Carlton, This upscale salad features unexpected lentils and bulgur, two excellent sources of protein, and makes a tasty light supper.
- 1 1/2 c water
- 3/4 c bulgur wheat
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 c dry lentils
- 2 c water
- 2 medium tomatoes cut into thin wedges
- 1 small cucumber quartered lengthwise and sliced
- 1/2 c chopped red or white onion
- 1/2 c celery diced
- 1/2 green pepper chopped
- 1 (2.25-oz) can sliced pitted ripe olives drained
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 c crumbled feta or blue cheese
- GREEK STYLE VINAIGRETTE
- 1/3 c olive oil
- 1 1/2 tbs red wine vinegar
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 tbs lemon juice
- 1 tsp Dijon-style mustard
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano crushed
- In a medium saucepan, bring 1½ cups water to a boil; remove from heat. Stir in bulgur and salt. Cover; let stand for 30 minutes. Drain thoroughly, pressing bulgur to remove excess water.
- Meanwhile, rinse lentils. In another medium saucepan, combine 2 cups water and lentils. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes or till tender; drain. Rinse with cold water; drain again.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine cooked bulgur, cooked lentils, tomato, cucumber, onion, celery, green pepper, olives, salt, and pepper. Toss mixture with Greek-style vinaigrette. Cover and chill at least 4 hours or overnight. Before serving, stir in feta or blue cheese.
- In a screw-top jar combine oil, vinegar, sugar, lemon juice, mustard, and oregano. Cover and shake well. Shake before using. Can be kept in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.
Spread the love