Greek Lentil Salad Recipe
from the kitchen of Ingrid Carlton, This upscale salad features unexpected lentils and bulgur, two excellent sources of protein, and makes a tasty light supper.
Author: Ingrid Carlton
Recipe type: Salad Recipe
- 1½ c water
- ¾ c bulgur wheat
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¾ c dry lentils
- 2 c water
- 2 medium tomatoes cut into thin wedges
- 1 small cucumber quartered lengthwise and sliced
- ½ c chopped red or white onion
- ½ c celery diced
- ½ green pepper chopped
- 1 (2.25-oz) can sliced pitted ripe olives drained
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ½ c crumbled feta or blue cheese
- GREEK STYLE VINAIGRETTE
- ⅓ c olive oil
- 1½ tbs red wine vinegar
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 tbs lemon juice
- 1 tsp Dijon-style mustard
- ½ tsp dried oregano crushed
- In a medium saucepan, bring 1½ cups water to a boil; remove from heat. Stir in bulgur and salt. Cover; let stand for 30 minutes. Drain thoroughly, pressing bulgur to remove excess water.
- Meanwhile, rinse lentils. In another medium saucepan, combine 2 cups water and lentils. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes or till tender; drain. Rinse with cold water; drain again.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine cooked bulgur, cooked lentils, tomato, cucumber, onion, celery, green pepper, olives, salt, and pepper. Toss mixture with Greek-style vinaigrette. Cover and chill at least 4 hours or overnight. Before serving, stir in feta or blue cheese.
- In a screw-top jar combine oil, vinegar, sugar, lemon juice, mustard, and oregano. Cover and shake well. Shake before using. Can be kept in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.