Gooey Apple Pie Bars Recipe
By: Jordan Sward for RecipeLion.com
What makes these Gooey Apple Pie Bars “gooey” is the delicious caramel sprinkled throughout the filling and drizzled on top. The warm apple and cinnamon filling is surrounded by flaky crust on top and bottom to create apple pie bars that are great when served warm, or even the next day!
8 ounces cream cheese, softened
1 cup butter
3 1/4 cups flour, divided
10 Granny Smith apples, peeled and sliced
1 1/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 cup caramel candies or bits
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F, and spray a 15×10-inch baking pan with non-stick spray.
2. In a large bowl, beat cream cheese and butter together with a hand mixer. Gradually add 3 cups of flour and mix on low speed until just combined. Shape into two equal-sized balls of dough.
3. Lightly flour two 15×10-inch pieces of wax paper. Place one ball of dough on wax paper and use your palm to flatten a bit. Place the second lightly floured piece of wax paper over top the dough and use a rolling pin to roll the dough out to 15×10 inches. Discard the top piece of wax paper, flip the dough onto the prepared pan, and peel off the second piece of wax paper.
4. In a large bowl, combine apples, remaining 1/4 cup flour, sugar and cinnamon and stir to coat. Pour the apple mixture onto the dough and spread out evenly. Sprinkle caramel bits over the apples.
5. Repeat step 3 with the remaining ball of dough. Carefully flip the dough over the apples and discard the wax paper. Tuck the edges of the dough into the pan to create a seal and make small slits in the top of the dough to vent steam.
6. Bake for about 35 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool 15 minutes. Drizzle with caramel sauce and cut into bars.