Gingery Beet Soup Recipe
Recipe Type: Soup & Stew Recipes
Fresh ginger is simmered with beets and potatoes in this nourishing soup, as well as combined with yogurt to finish the dish. Total Time: 50 mins
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oils, plus more for serving
- 1/2 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped peeled ginger, plus 1/4 teaspoon grated ginger
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3 cups chopped peeled beets (from 2 medium)
- 1 cup chopped Yukon gold potato (from 1 large)
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- fresh thyme leaves, for serving (optional)
- In a medium saucepan, heat oil over medium-high. Add onion, chopped ginger, garlic, and a pinch of salt; cook until softened, 4 to 5 minutes. Add beets, potato, and 4 cups water. Season with salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer, cover, and cook until vegetables are tender, 25 to 30 minutes. Let cool slightly; transfer to a blender. Blend until smooth, adding 1/4 to 1/2 cup water for desired consistency.
- Stir together yogurt and grated ginger. Ladle soup into bowls; swirl in yogurt. Top with thyme (if desired), a drizzle of olive oil, and more pepper.
Spread the love