For The Love of Chocolate Cream Pie Recipe
By: RecipeLion Original Recipe
Add some chocolate to Thanksgiving! There are lots of great chocolate dessert recipes out there, but it’s hard to trump the delicious flavors in this amazing chocolate cream pie. Made with rich dark chocolate and topped with a fluffy and delicious meringue, For the Love of Chocolate Cream Pie is one of our absolute favorites. The smooth filling is addictive. If you don’t feel like making a meringue, you could top the pie with Cool Whip.
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup cornstarch or 1/2 cup allpurpose flour
3 cups milk
1 tablespoon margarine or butter
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla (or 3/4 teaspoon vanilla and 3/4 teaspoon almond extract)
3 ounces unsweetened chocolate
1 baked pastry shell
1. For the filling, in a medium saucepan combine sugar and cornstarch or flour. Gradually stir in milk and unsweetened chocolate. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until mixture is thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes more. Remove from heat.
2. Separate egg yolks from whites; dispose of egg whites or save them to make a meringue. Beat egg yolks lightly with a fork. Gradually stir about 1 cup of the hot filling into yolks.
3. Return all to saucepan; bring to a gentle boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes more. Remove from heat.
4. Stir in margarine or butter and vanilla.
5. Pour the hot filling into the baked pastry shell. If making a meringue, chill pie in refrigerator for 1 hour before topping with meringue. Then return pie to refrigerator.
6. Chill pie in the refrigerator for at least 12 hours. If you didn’t make a meringue, top with Cool Whip or whipped cream before serving.