Crunchy and Creamy Green Bean Casserole Recipe
By: Recipelion.com Test Kitchen
The "crunchy" texture comes from the French fried onions mixed throughout, while the "creamy" part of the casserole comes from the yummy mushroom soup. Every bite of the casserole has a little bit of both textures and multiple bold flavors — delish!
1 small yellow onion
1 (8-ounce) package sliced mushrooms
1 tablespoon canola oil
1 cup milk
1(10 3/4-ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 (24-ounce) package frozen cut green beans, thawed
3 cups French fried onions
More salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Peel and chop onion and rough chop the sliced mushrooms.
3. Heat canola oil in large non-stick skillet and add onions. Sauté until they start to turn translucent. Add mushrooms to onions in skillet and sauté until tender and lightly browned. Add thawed green beans to a large mixing bowl and set aside.
4. In a small mixing bowl, combine milk, soup, garlic powder, salt and pepper; mix well. Pour over green beans and mix to combine. Add one cup of French fried onions and mix well.
5. Pour into an 7 x 11-inch baking pan or a 2-quart baking dish and bake for 45 minutes.
6. Remove from oven and stir, taste and correct seasonings (salt and pepper). Then return to oven for 10 more minutes.
7. Remove from oven, stir and then top with remaining 2 cups of French fried onions. Return to oven and bake 5 minutes more until French fried onions are nicely browned.