Crescent Rolls Recipe
Prep time: 20 minutes Cook time: 15 minutes Yield: 24 rolls Serving size: 1 Calories per serving: 2,810.833
Author: Dave M
Recipe type: Side Dish Recipes
- ⅔ cup warm water
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- 4½ to 5 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 eggs slightly beaten
- ¼ cup sugar
- ½ cup softened butter divided
- 1 cup milk
- Pour the water into a large mixing bowl (or your stand mixer bowl) and stir in the yeast and ½ teaspoon of sugar. Let the mixture sit for five minutes, or until it starts to bubble.
- Add 2 cups of flour, salt, sugar, eggs, and 4 tablespoons of softened butter. Mix the dough for 1 minute.
- Heat the milk on the stovetop or in the microwave until it starts to simmer; cool slightly and add to the dough. Add the rest of the flour 1 cup at a time while mixing, until the dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl. Knead the dough for 10 minutes by hand or in your mixer on medium speed for 5 minutes.
- Place the dough on a lightly oiled surface. Shape the dough into an oval and let it rest 5 minutes. Note: Make sure and let the dough rest so it will roll out easily. Roll the dough in a circle and spread the remaining butter over the top. Cut the dough into quarters with a pizza cutter. Cut each quarter into thirds. Starting at the outside edge, roll each triangle in towards the center of the circle to form the rolls.
- Place parchment paper onto a baking sheet and spray with cooking spray. Place each roll onto the parchment. Cover loosely with buttered or oiled plastic wrap. (Spray the top of the wrap with cooking spray and carefully turn it over so the sprayed side is facing the rolls and wrap the pan securely.) Place in freezer overnight. Note: Once the rolls are frozen, they can be stored in freezer-safe bags.
- TO BAKE
- Place the frozen rolls on a lightly oiled baking sheet and let them rise for 3–5 hours or until the dough has risen about 1 inch above the rim of the pan. Note: The dough will rise faster in a warm environment.
- Remove the plastic wrap and bake in a preheated oven at 350°F for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- FOR JAMIE’S BUTTER FLAKE ROLLS:
- Roll the rested dough into a rectangle and spread with the remaining butter.
- Using a pizza cutter, slice dough into quarters and each quarter into thirds. Stack four strips on top of each other and cut the stacks into 2-inch wide pieces.
- Freeze according to Crescent Roll directions.
- To bake Butter Flake Rolls, lay each stack on its side in a prepared muffin tin cup, let rise and bake at 400°F for 12 minutes.