CREAMY SCALLOPED POTATOES WITH HAM
BY: SUSAN FROM SAVORING TIME IN THE KITCHEN
Creamy Scalloped Potatoes with Ham is a tasty meal on a cold and rainy night. This easy scalloped potatoes and ham casserole has lots of veggies including celery, green onions, and carrots. Let that first creamy bite fill you with happiness as you eagerly await more.
3 pounds peeled potatoes, thinly sliced (about 6 to 8 cups)
5 tablespoons butter or margarine
3/4 cup chopped celery
9 green onions with 3 inches of green top, chopped or 1 small leek, white and light green parts, chopped
3/4 cup chopped carrots
2 cups diced, cooked ham
5 tablespoons flour
2 1/2 to 3 cups milk
3/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon pepper
1 1/2 cups shredded white Cheddar cheese
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
2. In a large saucepan, melt butter over medium-low heat; add celery, green onions, carrots, and ham.
3. Saute, stirring frequently, until vegetables are tender. Add flour, stirring until well blended.
4. Gradually add 1 1/4 cups milk, stirring constantly. Continue cooking, stirring contstantly, until mixture is bubbly; add 1 cup cheese. Cook until cheese is melted; add more milk if mixture is very thick.
5. In a 2-quart casserole dish, place a layer of potatoes, a layer of sauce, then repeat layers. Bake for approximately 74 to 90 minutes, or until potatoes are fork tender.