Creamy Chicken Stew Recipe
Recipe Type: Soup & Stew
from the kitchen of Sally Flynn, This delightful and filling stew can be frozen into individual portions for handy, quick and easy meals later on.
- 1 pound fresh mushrooms chopped
- 1/2 cup finely chopped shallot
- 1/2 cup water
- 4 cups fat-free chicken broth
- 1/2 cup celery chopped
- 1 cup fresh zucchini chopped
- 1 cup carrot sliced
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary finely chopped
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs trimmed and cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1 (12-ounce) can evaporate milk
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper (optional)
- 1 1/2 cups frozen green peas rinsed under cold water to thaw
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- TIP: Raw chicken is much easier to cut when slightly frozen.
- In a 5- to 6-quart Dutch oven, combine mushrooms, shallots, and ½ cup water. Cover and cook on high heat, stirring often, for approximately 3 to 4 minutes. Uncover and cook, stirring often, until the mushrooms are lightly browned, 8 to 10 minutes. Add broth, celery, zucchini, carrots, thyme, rosemary, and bay leaves; bring to a boil.
- Place chicken in a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker set to high. Carefully pour in the vegetable mixture. Cover and cook until the chicken is very tender, approximately 3½ to 4 hours.
- Transfer the chicken and vegetables to a large bowl and discard bay leaves. Skim fat and pour the juices into the previously used Dutch oven. Bring to a boil over high heat. Boil until reduced to 2 cups, 15 to 20 minutes. Mix cornstarch with ¼ cup water in a small bowl. Add to the pan of juices and cook, stirring, until slightly thickened. Add the canned milk and lemon juice; stir until boiling.
- Return the chicken and vegetables to the sauce in the Dutch oven and heat through. Season with salt and pepper, if desired. Just before serving, stir in peas and parsley.
Spread the love