Creamy Chicken Stew Recipe
from the kitchen of Sally Flynn, This delightful and filling stew can be frozen into individual portions for handy, quick and easy meals later on.
Author: Sally Flynn
Recipe type: Soup & Stew
- 1 pound fresh mushrooms chopped
- ½ cup finely chopped shallot
- ½ cup water
- 4 cups fat-free chicken broth
- ½ cup celery chopped
- 1 cup fresh zucchini chopped
- 1 cup carrot sliced
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary finely chopped
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs trimmed and cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- ¼ cup cold water
- 1 (12-ounce) can evaporate milk
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt (optional)
- ½ teaspoon pepper (optional)
- 1½ cups frozen green peas rinsed under cold water to thaw
- ½ cup chopped fresh parsley
- TIP: Raw chicken is much easier to cut when slightly frozen.
- In a 5- to 6-quart Dutch oven, combine mushrooms, shallots, and ½ cup water. Cover and cook on high heat, stirring often, for approximately 3 to 4 minutes. Uncover and cook, stirring often, until the mushrooms are lightly browned, 8 to 10 minutes. Add broth, celery, zucchini, carrots, thyme, rosemary, and bay leaves; bring to a boil.
- Place chicken in a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker set to high. Carefully pour in the vegetable mixture. Cover and cook until the chicken is very tender, approximately 3½ to 4 hours.
- Transfer the chicken and vegetables to a large bowl and discard bay leaves. Skim fat and pour the juices into the previously used Dutch oven. Bring to a boil over high heat. Boil until reduced to 2 cups, 15 to 20 minutes. Mix cornstarch with ¼ cup water in a small bowl. Add to the pan of juices and cook, stirring, until slightly thickened. Add the canned milk and lemon juice; stir until boiling.
- Return the chicken and vegetables to the sauce in the Dutch oven and heat through. Season with salt and pepper, if desired. Just before serving, stir in peas and parsley.