Classic Potatoes Au Gratin Recipe
By: RecipeLion Original Recipe
The sight of cheesy, golden brown potatoes au gratin makes any food advocate happy. Why change au gratin potatoes when it's the simplicity of them that makes them so delicious? Add these Classic Potatoes Au Gratin to your Thanksgiving menu, Christmas menu, Easter menu - you name it! It will likely be requested often.
5 large potatoes, peeled and sliced into medium thin slices (Russet potatoes work well)
1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
4 tablespoons butter 3 tablespoons flour
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon pepper
2 cups milk
2 cups Cheddar cheese, cubed or sliced
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and lightly butter a 3 ½ to 5 qt. casserole dish.
2. In a medium saucepan, melt butter and add flour, salt and pepper. Pour in the milk and bring to a boil. Stir frequently until thickened. Set aside.
3. Layer one quarter of the sliced potatoes, 1/4 of the onion, 1/4 of the cheese and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Repeat the next layer.
4. On top of the second layer, pour half the white sauce over (be a little reserved because you want the majority of the white sauce on top of the finished casserole). Repeat the next layer with potatoes, cheese, onion, salt and pepper. Repeat the final layer with same.
5. Pour the remaining white sauce over the top, making sure you cover all. Sprinkle the final product with salt and pepper. Cover and bake for 1 hour.
6. Remove the cover and bake for another hour. Don't worry if it gets a little dark on top.