Chicken Pot Pie
Recipe Type: Main Dish
from the kitchen of Charlene Jenson What a treat to have a pot pie made from scratch! Wholesome vegetables and succulent chicken are combined into a savory white sauce that binds the dish together. One serving is never enough. Prep time: 30 minutes Cook time: 50 minutes Serving size: 6 Calories per serving: 211
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast half cubed
- 1 c sliced carrot
- 1 c frozen green peas
- 1/2 c sliced celery
- 1/4 c butter
- 1/2 c chopped onion
- 1/3 c all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp celery seed
- 2 to 3 clove garlic minced
- 1 3/4 c chicken broth
- 2/3 c milk
- 2 (9 inches) unbaked* refrigerated pie crust
- *Try the Foolproof Piecrust recipe in the dessert chapter.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. In a saucepan, combine chicken, carrots, peas, and celery. Cover with water and boil for 15
- minutes. Remove from heat; drain, remove to a bowl, and set aside.
- In the same saucepan, melt butter and cook onions over medium heat until soft and translu-cent. Stir in flour, salt,
- pepper, celery seed, and garlic. Slowly stir in chicken broth and milk. Simmer over medium-low heat until thick.
- Add chicken and vegetables to sauce. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Line the pie pan with a crust. Pour hot chicken mixture into crust and top with second crust. Cut away excess dough
- and seal edges. Make several small slits in the top to allow steam to escape.
- Bake for 50 minutes, or until pastry is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cool for 10 minutes before serving.
Spread the love