Chicken Pot Pie
from the kitchen of Charlene Jenson What a treat to have a pot pie made from scratch! Wholesome vegetables and succulent chicken are combined into a savory white sauce that binds the dish together. One serving is never enough. Prep time: 30 minutes Cook time: 50 minutes Serving size: 6 Calories per serving: 211
Author: Charlene Jenson
Recipe type: Main Dish
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast half cubed
- 1 c sliced carrot
- 1 c frozen green peas
- ½ c sliced celery
- ¼ c butter
- ½ c chopped onion
- ⅓ c all purpose flour
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- ¼ tsp celery seed
- 2 to 3 clove garlic minced
- 1¾ c chicken broth
- ⅔ c milk
- 2 (9 inches) unbaked* refrigerated pie crust
- *Try the Foolproof Piecrust recipe in the dessert chapter.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. In a saucepan, combine chicken, carrots, peas, and celery. Cover with water and boil for 15
- minutes. Remove from heat; drain, remove to a bowl, and set aside.
- In the same saucepan, melt butter and cook onions over medium heat until soft and translu-cent. Stir in flour, salt,
- pepper, celery seed, and garlic. Slowly stir in chicken broth and milk. Simmer over medium-low heat until thick.
- Add chicken and vegetables to sauce. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Line the pie pan with a crust. Pour hot chicken mixture into crust and top with second crust. Cut away excess dough
- and seal edges. Make several small slits in the top to allow steam to escape.
- Bake for 50 minutes, or until pastry is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cool for 10 minutes before serving.
Spread the love