Chicken and Black Bean Chili
By Lets Start Cooking
Because it looks different than traditional chili, But thanks to full, hearty flavor, it’s become a real favorite around our house. I like to serve it with warm corn bread.
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 3 large skinless, boneless chicken breast halves – cut into 1 inch pieces
- sea salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon chili powder, or to taste
- 1/2 tablespoon ground cumin, or to taste
- 1 dried chipolata chili pepper, ground into powder
- ground black pepper to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 medium green bell pepper, diced
- 1 medium yellow bell pepper, diced 5 cups water 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained
- 1 (11 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 teaspoon green pepper sauce
- 1 (6 ounce) can roasted garlic tomato paste
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro, chopped
Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Place chicken in the pot; brown on all sides. Season with s ea salt, chili powder, cumin, ground chipolata, black pepper, and cayenne pepper. Mix in onion, green bell pepper, and yellow bell pepper. Pour in about 3 cups water, and continue cooking 10 minutes, until about 1/2 the water has evaporated.
Mix the kidney beans, black beans, and corn into the pot. Season with green pepper sauce. Reduce hes t to low, and mix in remaining 2 cups water and tomato paste. Simmer, stirring occasionally 30 minutes, or until thickened. Top with cilantro to serve.