BURRITO PIE RECIPE
BY: LARRY COWLING FROM CULLY’S KITCHEN
You may not be in Mexico right now, but you'll feel like it after having a bite of this Burrito Pie. Chili peppers, taco sauce, and onions add a Mexican feel. In a few simple steps, you'll have a perfect Mexican casserole on the table, ready to be devoured. It's even easy enough to make during the week.
2 pounds ground beef
1 onion, chopped
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 (2-ounce) can black olives, sliced
1 (4-ounce) can diced green chili peppers
1 (10-ounce) can diced tomatoes with green chilies 1 (16-ounce) jar taco sauce
2 (16-ounce) cans re fried beans
12 (8-inch) flour tortillas
9 ounces Colby cheese, shredded
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. In a large skillet over medium heat, sauté ground beef for 5 minutes. Add the onion and garlic, and sauté for 5 more minutes. Drain any excess fat.
3. Mix in the olives, green chili peppers, tomatoes with green chili peppers, taco sauce, and re-fried beans. Stir mixture thoroughly, reduce heat to low, and let simmer for 15 to 20 minutes.
4. Spread a thin layer of the meat mixture in the bottom of a 4-quart casserole dish. Cover with a layer of tortillas, followed by more meat mixture, then a layer of cheese. Repeat tortilla, meat, cheese pattern until all the tortillas are used, topping off with a layer of meat mixture and cheese.
5. Bake for 20 to 30 minutes or until cheese is slightly brown and bubbly.