BAKED EGGPLANTS WITH BOLOGNESE SAUCE Recipe
BY: LAI KUAN FROM FOOD 4 TOTS
Baked Eggplants with Bolognese Sauce is a ground beef casserole that puts a fun spin on an Italian dish. It’s kid-friendly and low carb – a pleasure for everyone!
Eggplants (6 inches) – It is only a guideline. It depends on the size of your baking dishes. Bolognese sauce
Mozzarella cheese, shredded (or your favorite type of cheese)
Bolognese Sauce Ingredients
240g minced meat/ beef (If you prepare no meat, substitute with fresh mushrooms)
60g fresh mushrooms – chopped
1 medium size onion, minced
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 can diced tomato
1 teaspoon dried basil leaves or mixed Italian dried herbs 2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 tablespoon tomato ketchup
1 tablespoon sugar
2 bay leaves (optional)
200 ml stock
Dash of ground black pepper Pinch of salt
Cornstarch solution for thickening (mix 1 teaspoon corn flour with 1 tablespoon water)
1. To make the Bolognese sauce: Heat up a saucepan with oil. Sauté onion, garlic and dried basil until fragrant and onion become translucent. Add in minced meat/beef and stir-fry until it is cooked. Add in chopped mushrooms and stir-fry until the mushrooms turn soft. Add in diced tomatoes, tomato paste, tomato ketchup, stock and bay leaves and stir well.
2. Bring to a boil and simmer under low heat for 30 minutes. The last 10 minutes, simmer with lid half covered, stirring occasionally.
3. Add in sugar, black pepper, and salt. Thicken with cornstarch solution.
4. Meanwhile, slice eggplants (0.3cm thickness) and soak in salted water with vinegar for 10 seconds. Drain and pat dry. Pan-fry both sides until lightly golden brown. Set aside.
5. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
6. Prepare 4 baking dishes. Add a layer of Bolognese sauce, follow by eggplants, and then shredded cheese. Repeat this process. The final layers must be eggplants and cheese.
7. Baked for 10 to 15 minutes or until the cheese turns golden brown. Serve hot.