Apple Raisin Strata Recipe
from the kitchen of Marion Albright, The flavors of apples and raisins blend beautifully to create an elegant yet simple and fast breakfast. Serve this with a drizzle of maple syrup or caramel and a dollop of sweetened whipped cream as a lovely way to start the day.
Author: Marion Albright
Recipe type: Breakfast Recipes
- 1 1-pound loaf cinnamon raisin bread cubed
- 1 (8-oz) pkg cream cheese diced
- 1½ c peeled and diced apples
- 1½ c raisins
- 8 eggs
- 2½ c half and half or cream
- 6 tbs butter melted
- ⅓ c maple syrup
- CARAMEL SAUCE
- ½ c brown sugar
- ¼ c cream
- ¼ c butter
- ⅛ tsp salt
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Coat a 9x13-inch baking dish with cooking spray. Arrange half of the cubed raisin bread in the bottom of the dish. Sprinkle the cream cheese evenly over the bread and top with apples; sprinkle raisins evenly over all. Top with remaining bread cubes.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs with the half-and-half, butter, and maple syrup. Pour this over the bread mixture. Cover with plastic wrap and press down so that all bread pieces are soaked. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Bake for 45 minutes. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
- CARAMEL SAUCE
- Mix the brown sugar, cream, butter, and salt in a saucepan over medium-low heat. Whisk while cooking for 5 minutes or until the sauce gets thick. Add vanilla and cook for 1 minute. Remove from heat, cool slightly, and pour into a jar.
- TIP: Freeze the cream cheese until just barely solid for easier dicing.