SOUTHWEST GROUND BEEF CASSEROLE RECIPE
By: Amanda from Amanda’s Cookin’
Southwest Ground Beef Casserole is a south-of-the-border recipe that’s sure to please. Ingredients like red pepper flakes and chili powder give this ground beef casserole a depth that only southern cooking can achieve. All you need to do is cook and flavor the meat, and then simmer the meat with the vegetables before throwing everything into your casserole dish. Serve warm.
1 pound lean ground beef
1 cup onion, diced
½ cup orange bell peppers, diced
¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon Magic Dust seasoning or Montreal Steak seasoning
16 ounces tomato sauce
1 can (10-ounce) diced tomatoes & green chilies
1 ½ teaspoons dried oregano
2 teaspoons chili powder
2 cups frozen corn
2 ounces Mexican 4 cheese blend, shredded
1 ½ cups dried macaroni style pasta
1 cup Mexican 4 cheese blend, shredded
sliced green onions for garnish
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
2. Spray a two-quart casserole dish with cooking spray.
3. In a large skillet, brown the ground beef with the onions, bell pepper, and red pepper flakes. Season with Magic Dust or steak seasoning.
4. Add the tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, oregano, and chili powder. Simmer for 15 to 20 minutes. Add the frozen corn and simmer for a few more minutes.
5. Remove from heat and stir in the 2 ounces of cheese until melted.
6. Gently stir in the cooked pasta.
7. Pour all into a prepared casserole dish and top with shredded cheese.
8. Bake for 20 to 30 minutes, or until browned and bubbly.
9. Garnish with green onions if desired.